News about Patti Warashina, the Center for Craft, the Furniture Society and more.
1. Spring Craft Weekend was originally set to take place this weekend and tomorrow on Facebook we will be sharing photos from last year and asking you to share your creative ideas for a Fall name. Though we can not be together in person, we plan to host a number of virtual get-togethers in the near future. Our first is a happy hour this Wednesday to honor our One-Of-A-Kind Awardee Giselle Huberman.
2. Also set for this weekend was the Smithsonian Craft Show and you can still enjoy a small part of it. The online auction is currently open through April 28, learn more at https://smithsoniancraftshow.org. Also, the University of Washington recently published a fabulous article about the 2020 Visionary Artist Patti Warashina, complete with videos, a slideshow, article, and Q&A.
3. The Center for Craft has some big news. Not only did they announce the 2020 Center for Craft Windgate-Lamar Fellows this week but they have released an amazing 3D tour to their new facility (complete with the exhibitions and artwork). Additionally, on facebook, they revealed a new virtual Zoom webinar series! "Ask the _____", which is a live Q & A series focused on exploring emerging ideas, talent, and action in craft.
4. The Furniture Society started rolling out new online content as well. To kick off the new online series, the first video features a conversation with Tanya Aguiñiga. Her name may seem familiar because she was featured in Disrupting Craft: Renwick Invitational 2018 at the Smithsonian Renwick Gallery, was a 2018 Burke Prize Finalist at the Museum of Art and Design and she happens to have some furniture in the renovated Center for Craft that you can see in the online tour.
5. Speaking of the Smithsonian, the Museum of American Art has a young new face exploring the collection and interviewing experts from the entire institution. What does day drinking have to do with American Art? What do rhinestones and moms have to do with American art? Find out here.