An online ceramic auction, the Cerf+ COVID-19 Relief Grant deadline, the end of weekly Friday Top Five, and more!
1. During this period of economic and social disruption, a group of galleries, collectors, artists, and art-related businesses have joined together in an online ceramic auction to provide direct monetary support to artists and organizations in the craft community through Cerf+ and, in doing so, unite the ceramics community in their shared values. The auction, which will be live on eBay from Friday, June 19th until Sunday, 4 pm PDT on June 28th (www.ebay.com/usr/studiopottery), was created by Jeffrey Spahn (Jeffrey Spahn Gallery), co-organized by Leslie Ferrin (Ferrin Contemporary), and includes more than 300 works from both emerging artists and established masters. Selected works are included in the preview catalog HERE.
2. The Cerf+ COVID-19 Relief Grant is now accepting applications until July 29. A second cycle will continue to offer grants through September 9. This special program will provide one-time $1,000 grants to meet urgent food, housing and/or health insecurities caused by the Coronavirus.
3. Artists Betye Saar, Faith Ringgold, and Renee Cox Called for Aunt Jemima’s Liberation Years Ago and finally Quaker Oats is listening.
4. The Center for Craft announced the first round of Craft Futures Fund recipients this week. The six awardees include educational craft programs and opportunities for diverse communities around the country. https://www.centerforcraft.org/grants-and-fellowships/craft-futures-fund
5. As cities and towns across the country begin to reopen, this will be our last weekly Friday Top Five before we move to every first Friday of the month. Reflecting on the craft news has highlighted how the craft community has really been rising to the occasion. Craft organizations, artists, and institutions and been supporting the craft field and one another in how we fit into a larger dialog. We are honored to be a part of this expanding conversation and look forward to continuing to bring you craft news.